Friday, June 29, 2007

No Pins!

I did a bit of sewing during T's nap today. I wanted to try a turned and topstitched fitted diaper. (I made two fitted cloth diaps a while back, but they're pitiful. I tried to just overcast the edge on my regular sewing machine to simulate a serged finish, and it looks pretty crummy. They're somewhat usable but ugly. You can see one of them here.)

I think this one turned out pretty nice. It's not perfect, but I like it.




I used the free Ottobre pattern online. I made the smaller size (which is supposed to fit newborn to six months) and turned and topstitched without adding a seam allowance. It turned out way big (which I had heard, so that's why I did the smaller size). It's more like a size large, which is perfect for T. Now I just have to try it on him and see if it's a good fit.

I used a single layer of flannel for the inner and a single layer of flannel for the outer, and I sewed in an interior soaker of microfiber terry and flannel. It's pretty thick and cushy, so I'm thinking I shouldn't have to boost it with a doubler. We'll see . . . I've never used microfiber before.

UPDATE: The legs are pretty gappy. If I make more of these, I'll be sure to add a seam allowance, at least around the legs. Otherwise, it fits pretty nicely.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your post! When you say gapy what do you mean? It makes it sound like they were too big but you wanted to add a seam allowance. I am still a somewhat beginner so I guess I am confused. I love your diaper and think it is wonderful. Will you use a cover?
Shorty

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Yep, they were gappy, meaning the leg holes are too big. Adding an extra 1/4" or so of fabric around the leg holes would make the legs a bit smaller.

I'm using a cover with it. This is just made out of flannel, no waterproof layer, so I'll pair it up with a wool soaker.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Tia said...

Hi! I just wanted to say that if the legs are gappy, the easy fix would be to make the elastic a little shorter (so it's stretched tighter while sewing). When I make my diapers, I pull the elastic almost as tight as I can get it while sewing - this makes the legs gather like they should to fit up to the baby. Adding more fabric around the leg holes won't make enough difference, and it will also change the way the diaper fits in general - the crotch/seat will be even wider.

The legs look like the elastic isn't pulled tightly enough to me. Pulling tighter on the next diaper will make the leg openings close up more, while leaving the width of the crotch and seat just the same.

8:48 PM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Tia--good point!

I stretched the elastic pretty much as far as it would go, but the zig zag stitch seems to really suck most of the stretch out of the elastic. I guess I need to experiment with some other methods of doing the elastic.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Tia said...

Hmmm...does your sewing machine have a 3-step zig zag (or "broken" zig zag)? That is most commonly used for sewing the elastic right down the middle because it's a really great stretch stitch. If you don't have that type of stitch, you might do better with a simple casing and *no* zig zagging at all (since it sucks the stretch out of your elastic). There is a tutorial for that over at DSD in the diaper talk forum (in the "stuck stickies"). Lemme see...I'll link it...Tacked elastic with casings tutorial. Warning, it's pretty pic-heavy! I hope that helps you get the perfect dipe! :)

1:39 AM  
Blogger Kelley said...

Tia--Nope, my machine a super basic model. I wish I did have the three step zig zag. It looks awesome on FOE!

Actually, I already checked out that tutorial on DSD. I think I'll try one like that today. I'm a relatively new member on DSD, and I'm just loving all the great info and chat over there!

Thanks for all your great suggestions. I'd be completely lost if not for my CDing online friends :-)

8:58 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home