Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Elvish Leaves Dishcloth



The lace pattern of this cloth makes me think of the leaves of Lorien from Lord of the Rings (I'll have to make some cloths in green!). I was tempted to call it the Leaves of Lorien Dishcloth, but the leaves of Lorien in the movies are a slightly different shape (they're lobed instead of ovate). I think this lace looks elvish nonetheless.



Materials
Worsted weight 100% cotton yarn, approximately 2 oz.
US size 7 knitting needles

Finished size: approximately 9" x 9"

Stitches
K=knit
P=purl
YO=yarn over
K2tog=knit 2 stitches together
PSSO=pass slipped stitch over

Cast on 39.

Rows 1–6: Knit across.
Rows 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27: K3, P33, K3.
Row 8: K5, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K3, K2tog, K1, * YO, K1, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K3, K2tog, K1. Repeat from * across to last 5 stitches. YO, K5.
Row 10: K6, * YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K1, K2tog, K1, YO, K3. Repeat from * across to last 3 stitches. K3.
Row 12: K7, YO, K1, slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, K1, * YO K5, YO, K1, slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, K1. Repeat from * across to last 7 stitches. YO, K7.
Row 14: K5, K2tog, K1, YO, K3, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, * K1, K2tog, K1, YO, K3, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO. Repeat from * across to last 5 stitches. K5.
Row 16: K4, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K2, YO, K3, YO, K2, * slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, K2, YO, K3, YO, K2. Repeat from * across to last 6 stitches. K2tog, K4.
Row 18: K6, * K2tog, K1, YO, K1, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K3. Repeat from * across to last 3 stitches. K3.
Row 20: K5, K2tog, K1, YO, K3, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, * K1, K2tog, K1, YO, K3, YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO. Repeat from * across to last 5 stitches. K5.
Row 22: K4, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K1, YO, K5, YO, K1 * slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, K1, YO, K5, YO, K1. Repeat from * across to last 6 stitches. K2tog, K4.
Row 24: K6, * YO, K1, slip 1, K1, PSSO, K1, K2tog, K1, YO, K3. Repeat from * across to last 3 stitches. K3.
Row 26: K6, *YO, K2, slip 1, K2tog, PSSO, K2, YO, K3. Repeat from * across to last 3 stitches. K3.
Rows 28–47: Repeat rows 8–27.
Rows 48–53: Repeat rows 8–13.
Rows 54–59: Knit across.

Bind off knitwise.

Admire your beautiful new dishcloth and get scrubbing!

© 2007. This pattern is for noncommercial use only. Please do not sell the pattern. Do not post the pattern on the Internet. (You may link to this blog post.)

This is my first attempt at creating a pattern. I hope you enjoy it! (And please let me know if you find any errors--I've knitted it three times as written, but you never know . . .)

EDITED 8/29/07 to correct typos in last 3 lines of pattern.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Plain Jane said...

The lace is beautiful! What a wonderful job designing it. I was counting stitches, trying to figure out the number needed for a repeat, but kept getting different figures. I'd like to adapt the lace to a panel on one of the shawls I knit for charity.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

What a way to combine my favourite hobby with my favourtie movie! Thank you for sharing your pattern!

9:38 AM  
Blogger onecraftchick said...

I love this pattern! I just completed it, thank you so much for posting it!

12:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Aim said...

Wow that's beautiful. thanks for writing out the pattern for everyone! can't wait to try it myself....

6:48 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

I saw this pattern and set everything else aside to knit it instead. Scrumptious. I will definitely be making more than one.
I love the rich burgundy color one you made.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

The lace cloth is gorgeous. Lace intimidates me so much, but I'm going to try to start on dishcloths so that I can get over my fear!

1:46 PM  
Blogger azurerocket said...

Thanks for the great pattern! I am making a pair for my sister as a wedding gift in her wedding colors. I did find one small typo on the otherwise technically perfect and beautiful pattern. The end of the pattern should read:

Rows 28–47: Repeat rows 8–27.
Rows 48–53: Repeat rows 8–13.
Rows 54–59: Knit across.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

This is beautiful! I just found my project for Christmas presents. I will let you know how they turn out.

I noticed you're from MI, Yay MI! I grew up there and sadly I'm now suffering in the heat of TN.

Just wanted to say I love your work and I'm glad I stumbled on your site.

7:39 AM  
Blogger rachelm said...

Beautiful dishcloths, Kelley! I'm making lots of dishcloths for the various "moms" in my life for Mother's Day, and my mother actually loves Lord of the Rings. This will be a big hit in her basket! Thanks so much for posting the pattern.

5:56 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kelly could you please email me. I am list owner for the Dish Cloth Knit Along on Yahoo, check us out here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DishClothKnitAlong/

Please email me at Cora.Levesque@hsaw.ca.

Cora

8:02 PM  
Blogger Alicia said...

Thank you for the gorgeous pattern! I've already made two and will probably make many more for gifts.

10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pattern. I think I'll make one in each season's colors. I just did one in white, so I guess I'll do a green, brown and pink or yellow one too.

8:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that your Elvish Leaves cloth is beautiful! I recently finished knitting one and was so pleased with the way it turned out. It was my first knitting project in many months. I had a baby earlier this year, and my knitting time became nonexistent for a while. Thanks again for a great pattern!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, I have linked to your post here and commented on the overall quality of the pattern (excellent!) Thank-you for providing this wonderful pattern for us to enjoy.

11:43 AM  
Blogger puggerhugger said...

made it, love it o death, linking to blog!

11:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home