Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My First Ever Homemade Diaper



I finally got up the gumption to try sewing a diaper. I think it turned out pretty well for a first try. I was pleasantly suprised at how simple it was too. I cut out a size medium pattern and added elastic and a soaker layer, then used a very wide zig zag in a very short stitch to finish the edges and attach the inner and outer layers. It's not as nice as a serged edge (I don't own a serger), but it's not bad, and I didn't want to fiddle with turning and topstitching until I knew if I liked the pattern, if it fit well, etc. Actually, it doesn't fit very well yet. It's too big. I think it'll be okay if I add a crossover tab on the front to make it a bit slimmer. It's a little gappy around the legs too, but I'll just live with that until he grows into it.

Things I'll change for next time:

(1) I'll add more layers or a more absorbent material for the soaker. I used 6 layers of recycled men's undershirt, but it doesn't seem quite thirsty enough.

(2) I'll use Aplix instead of locally store-bought velcro-type fastener. I didn't want to "waste" my Aplix if this attempt turned out to be a total bomb. It's not too bad, so I think I may take off the velcro and sew on my Aplix so the diaper is more usable. The velcro stuff doesn't grip together nearly as firmly as the Aplix.

All in all, I'm feeling pretty good about myself right now!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home