Friday, March 02, 2007

Sock Dilemma




I haven't made that much progress on my sock since my last post, but I just couldn't stop myself from posting again. I love my sock. I can't wait until it's done (until both are done). I keep trying it on. I think I'm just about ready to start the toe. I'm debating if Iwant to start the toe now or knit another half inch or so. The tutorial says to knit to within 2 inches of the tip of your toe. I was planning on knitting until it measures 8 inches from the heel to my needles (my foot is ten inches heel to tip of big toe--but I have rather long big toes), and I'm not there yet. But then when I try it on, it seems like it's time to start the toe. Hmmm . . . the stretch factor. Plus, the sock is a tad on the large side. I don't want a saggy baggy sock that slips all over my foot and doesn't fit well in shoes. (Next pair I'm using size 1 DPNs instead of size 2s.) I've never done this before, so I don't know what to expect. So I'm waiting and debating. This may be my naptime project for today (T's naptime, not mine ).

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

When in doubt, start the toe decreases at the base of your little toe.

My thoughts on your dilemma - I would frog out a few rows and start the toe.

That said, I can't claim to be an expert on your sock since I don't know what type of toe your pattern has.

Hand knit socks do get baggy when worn unless they're knit with negative ease.

12:05 PM  
Blogger brandilion said...

Those socks look beautiful! I'm so jealous

12:07 PM  
Blogger RC said...

Great socks! Really nice colors.

I start my toe decreases when the foot of the sock just covers my little toe, then 2 decreases each side (4 each round), knit 2 rounds, then decrease round again until there are 28 stitches left and then kitchner.
Just my sock toe that works, your pattern may be different.
good luck!

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home