Monday, March 12, 2007

Doomed from the Start?



Have you ever had a project that you just can't seem to get off the ground? That's how T's birthday sweater is ending up. First, I cast on and then, about an inch later, I realized I had twisted the stitches when I joined in the round. Frog. Next, I was knitting away happily, untwisted, when I started to feel that perhaps I was knitting the wrong size. Yup, I measured some more of T's clothes that I like the fit of and discovered I was making the chest 2 inches too large. Apparently, the sweatshirt I measured the first time is average length but very wide. Frog. I adjusted my measurements, refigured my cast on stitches, and cast on again with the correct number. (I should mention here that I hate casting on. Even more so, I hate casting on large numbers of stitches--figuring out how long of a tail to leave for the long tail cast on, counting stitches, recounting and re-recounting to make sure I have the right number of stitches. Shoot me now!) I was feeling very good about this little sweater, when I realized--again an inch or two into it--that I had again twisted when joining in the round. (Mind you, I knit in the round all the time, and I never have trouble with twisting like this. ) Frog. That brings me to my latest (and hopefully, final) attempt. I'm about 6 inches in, we have no twisting, and the measurements are coming out perfectly. Woot! But . . . I probably don't have enough yarn to finish this sweater. For some reason, when I bought the yarn, I figured one 3 1/2 oz. skein of each color would be enough. (I'm going to arrange the colors something like this.) What on earth was I thinking? Now I have to order more yarn online (and pay more shipping), because I'm pretty sure none of the local craft stores carries this yarn. And of course I'll have to deal with mismatched dye lots. And how much more do I need? . . . I'm trying very hard to take a deep breath and remain calm.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kat said...

you sound like me right now..i'm not sure why some projects are jsut harder to get through then others

9:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the same Beth who posted at Zimmermania. I asked about your yarn because I live practically around the corner from Herrschners. Need me to make a yarn run? I'm pretty sure they'd have the TLC Cotton Plus. Just e-mail me via my blog if you're interested and we can work it out.

10:54 AM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

Wow, that sweater needs to take a "time out"! Good for you for pushing through, I think I would have given up by now. Happier knitting wishes.

8:35 AM  
Blogger annette2u said...

Hi Kelley
Wow you sound like I was 1o years ago.
I never have finished the sweater with the teddy bears on. Just got to busy with work and had no time to do any knitting.
I think I was in a nightmare for 8 years and came out of it when I retired.
Admire your courage and get up and go.
You will get it done and you could always add another color to it if needed.
Have a good one and just love your blog.
Annette

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home