Wednesday, April 11, 2007

A Group WIP



I've been working on assembling a wool baby afghan for an online charity group I belong to. Each month the group focuses on a different charity or project. Our March project was afghan squares for various charities (Warm Up America, Project Linus, and Afghans for Afghans). I volunteered to assemble a blanket for Afghans for Afghans, and members from all over the U.S. and Canada knitted 9x9 squares and sent them to me.

I was planning on just mattress stitching the squares together, but I received such a wide variety of sizes, that I ended up needing to add a crochet border to equalize things a bit. I crocheted just one row of single crochet around the largest squares and up to four around the smallest squares. Actually, I'm really liking how the crochet borders look. Having borders of the same color on each square will help tie the squares together and give a nice consistent look. Now I just need to wait for the last two squares to arrive, attach the squares together, and add a border around the whole blanket. This should be ready to ship off to Afghans for Afghans just in time to be included in their Mother's Day Campaign shipment. I didn't know about their new campaign when we started this blanket, but it works out perfectly! I just love these kinds of projects. Call me sentimental, but it makes me so happy to think of all the different hands that put love into this blanket that will warm a baby half a world away.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger brandilion said...

that was a lot of effort on your part to add borders. What a lovely job! It looks great

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jofrog said...

That blanket is going to be so well loved, what a great thing to do!

I've been looking back to see if the swiffer pattern link started working again, but it still hasn't. Can you send me a copy of the pattern via email? ...I figure it was a free pattern to begin with, so there shouldn't be any ethical concerns. Thanks in advance!

8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home