Sunday, April 08, 2007

My First Ever EZ Project

T's Birthday sweater is done. It fits him well. I didn't have to buy more yarn (I have about 8-10 yards left of each color). I am satisfied.

Here's the finished sweater in all it's washed and blocked, yet-to-be-worn glory (the color is washed out here--it's accurate in the last two photos):



I love how the stripes turned out:





The knitty gritty:

Pattern: the "recipe" for a seamless raglan from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitting without Tears
Yarn: TLC Cotton Plus, one skein each red and navy
Needles: US size 5 and 7 Knitpicks Options
Size: 12 months with room to grow--24" chest, 9" sleeves (measured from the armpit), 8" body length (measured from the armpit)
Modifications: Changed a few things to make the percentage system work for a child--no shaping on the sleeves, a bit more than 50% of body stitches for the neck opening, long ribbed cuffs on the sleeves to allow for growth. I also didn't use EZ's neck shaping method. I just added three short rows to the back of the neck in my own manner.

This simple little sweater has such a sordid history. I had more false starts and frog and redo sessions than I care to rehash (I still am not sure why this project was such a problem for me), but I'm really happy with how it turned out. Mission accomplished!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger goodkarma said...

What a sweet little sweater and a sweet little boy! Looks like you made just the right modifications for a great fit.

12:31 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Kelley,

Your sweater turned out great!!! and only 2 balls of yarn? Thats fantastic!

I'm thinking I may have to make one for my daughter using your modifications.

Libby

4:51 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

It turned out so cute! The colors look great on your little guy, and I love the striping. I feel inspired to make one for my little guy now. I'd been holding off on the sweater making b/c it's spring, but seeing as there's now a couple inches of fresh snow on the ground I can probably justify it!

6:01 AM  
Blogger JenniferB said...

Hi! I'm visiting from Zimmermania. What an adorable sweater. I love kid knits and yours is great. I haven't made an EZ sweater for either of my kids yet, but I hope to make a tomten soon and maybe a seamless raglan for my son. thanks for posting!

1:17 PM  
Blogger Susan said...

Cute EZ sweater! I have all of EZ's books, but have not made anything yet!

6:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your little pullover. I saw it on the EZ knitalong blog and had to come over and tell you!

6:23 AM  
Blogger Andrea said...

Looks great! How did you deal with the underarm holes? The same things happened to me when I knit the Wonderful Wallaby sweater.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home